Braised Collards and Apples
Free of Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Corn, Nuts, Tree Nuts, Eggs. Vegan.
- Olive Oil for sauteeing
- 1 Apple (Fuji, Honeycrisp…)
- 1/2 Large Yellow Onion
- 1 bunch Collard Greens (1-1 1/2 lbs.)
- Juice 1/2 Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cup Vegetable Stock
- Peel, core and quarter the apple then slice it thinly. Slice the onion thinly as well.
- Heat the olive oil in a stock pot until it is shimmering and very hot. Add the apples and onions and saute over medium-high heat for 7-10 minutes, or until the onions are slightly translucent and the apples are partly browned.
- While the apples and onions are cooking, break down the collards. Take one leaf, fold it in half so that the spine is along one side and tear the spine away from the leaf. The spines are tough, chuck ‘em in the compost bin. When you’ve de-spined the collards, stack the leaves on top of each other and then roll them into a cigar. Using a sharp knife, slice across the cigar, making ribbons of collard greens.
- Toss the sliced greens into the pot with the apples and onions and saute for 5-10 minutes, or until the greens are wilted and reduced in size.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the stock pot and add the pepper, cinnamon and salt. Stir everything to combine.
- Add the veggie stock and cover the pot. Turn the heat down to low and simmer the greens for 30-40 minutes, or until they’re tender and delicious.
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40-50 minutes
Yield: 4 servings