Molasses Spice Bombs
Free of Gluten, Dairy, Corn, Soy, Nuts and Tree Nuts.
Adapted from Food 52
- 1 cup Sweet Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Tapioca Starch
- 1/4 cup White Rice Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 3/4 cup Coconut Oil (in its hard form)
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Molasses
- 1 Egg
- Sugar and Ground Black Pepper for rolling (optional)
- Whisk together the dry ingredients (flours, powders and spices).
- In a separate bowl cream the coconut oil and sugar. You can do it with a stand mixer, a hand mixer, your own arms or Jedi mind-foolery. 3-4 minutes beating on high till it looks nice and creamy.
- Add the molasses and egg to the creamed sugar and oil and continue to beat until incorporated.
- Stir the dry blend into the wet mixture in batches to avoid getting flour all over your shirt.
- When the dough comes together cover it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes, preferably for an hour or two.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- When you take the dough out of the fridge it will be stiff. Knead it back to life until it is pliable but still cold. Sprinkle some sugar and ground black pepper in a bowl (ok, ok-you don’t have to use the black pepper, but it adds a lovely kick!). Pinch some dough off the chilled blob and roll it into a ball. Put the ball in the bowl with the sugar and toss everything to coat the dough. Place the sugared ball on a cookie sheet. Repeat until you’ve finished the dough.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until they start to get crisp at the edges. If you’re like my mom and wand a totally crisp cookie, bake these for 12-16 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the trays for 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.
- Eat it.
Prep. Time: 15 minutes active, 30-60 minutes chilling (you and the dough)
Baking Time: 10-12 minutes
Yield: ~45 two-inch cookies