Olive Oil Cornmeal Cake
- 1 Golden Delicious Apple, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 2 sprigs Rosemary (~2 tablespoons)
- 50 grams Palm Sugar (one small puck or ~¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 150 grams Cornmeal (~1 cup)
- 40 grams Brown Rice Flour (~¼ cup)
- 30 grams Tapioca Starch (~¼ cup)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 30 grams Palm Sugar (~3 tablespoons)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- In a large saute pan, heat the apple, rosemary and 50 grams palm sugar over low heat. Stir occasionally and cook until the apple cubes are tender, about 15 minutes. No need to turn everything to mush, just let the sugar melt in the softening apples. When they are ready, take them off the heat and set aside.
- While the apples are cooking, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Pour the 2 tablespoons olive oil into a 10-inch skillet and slide it into your oven to heat as well.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the cornmeal, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate, larger, bowl, whisk the 30 grams palm sugar with the eggs until lightened in color and slightly thickened. Pour in the olive oil as you continue to whisk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in the cooked apple/rosemary mixture.
- Pull the heated skillet out of your oven and pour in the batter, if it sizzles a bit you’ve done well. The bottom will be crispy!
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool slightly before serving. Or just eat it from the skillet.